Chocolate olive oil cake recipe
This might be the ultimate, moist and squidgy chocolate cake recipe to have in your baking collection. Lightly spiced and made with ground almonds and mild olive oil, this makes a fantastic pudding or treat, which is also gluten- and dairy-free. What’s more, it’s super-easy to make – just mix and bake.
- Serves 10
- 10 mins to prepare and 45 mins to cook, plus cooling
- 449 calories / serving
- 165ml light in colour olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300g ground almonds
- 60g cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 medium free range eggs
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Grease a 23cm round springform tin and line with nonstick baking paper.
- Add all the ingredients, except the eggs, alongside 125ml boiling water to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Crack in the eggs one at a time, whisking well until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins before removing and transferring to a wire rack. Serve while still warm as a pudding or leave to cool completely. Dust with extra cocoa powder to serve. Store the cooked and cooled cake (or any leftovers) in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Tip: To make this into more of a pudding, you could serve with a dollop of dairy-free yogurt or crème fraîche (if not required to be dairy-free) on the side.
As part of a healthy balanced , we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.